Uber has increased charges for select vehicles driven by highly-rated drivers in what the taxi-hailing company says will give its customers a better trip experience.
The e-hailing firm, which says it has 5,000 drivers and 363,000 users on its Kenyan database, says the new product – dubbed UberSELECT – will cost riders a minimum of Sh300 per trip, compared to Sh200 charged by taxis on its other service, UberX. Sh100 is approximately $1.
The base fare for UberSELECT is Sh100 compared to UberX’s Sh80, while the charge per minute and per kilometer is Sh4 and Sh43 respectively. This is an increase from the Sh2.40 per minute and Sh33.60 per km currently charged.
“We believe our customers should be allowed more choice in the way they travel,” Loic Amado, Uber’s general manager for East Africa, said in a statement.
“This is the inspiration behind the introduction of UberSELECT, which is ideal on special events such as date nights and important business meetings,” he added.
Only experienced drivers who have completed over 300 trips, with a rating of 4.7 or above and who have the eligible vehicles will receive trip requests on the new service.
- Egypt Advances Its Plan to Become A Regional Center for Energy with Sudan Electric Linkage Project
- 👌🏾Kenyan Shatters Marathon World Record By 78 Seconds
- 👍🏾Tanzania App Emerges as Ecobank Fintech Challenge First Place Winner
- 😲 If You Are A Tanzania Female MP Who Does One Of These Things, You Will Be Banned Says Speaker of Parliament
- Thousands flock to Africa’s first Comic Con
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95