Cameroon is set to receive US $794.5m for the construction of 420 MW Nachtigal hydroelectric project after the World Bank approved of the investment package.
According to World Bank country director for Cameroon, Elisabeth Huybens the investment in the clean energy sector is essential to reduce electricity cost and ensure the competitiveness of Cameroon’s economy.
“The Nachtigal Project is one of the very few public-private partnership (PPP) hydropower projects in Sub-Saharan Africa that will accelerate Cameroon’s realization of its development goals, including poverty reduction”, She said.
Country’s electricity needs
The plant is expected to provide up to one third of the country’s electricity needs. It will be located on the Sanaga River 65 km from the capital of Yaounde. Nacthigal Hydro Power Company has a 35-year lease to run the facility. Electricity will be transmitted to the capitol via a 50-km-long transmission line.
- RECIPE OF THE DAY: Moroccan Lamb Tangine With Asian Pears
- Ethiopia Prime Minister’s New Defense Minister Is A Woman and So Is 50% Of His Ministerial Cabinet
- 10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire Your Next Look
- 👍🏾Tunisia Becomes Second African Country And First Arab Nation To Outlaw Racism. Here Is What Will Happen If You Break The Law
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Are Given Ugandan Names
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95