From the mother of dragons in “Game of Thrones” to Captain America from the “The Avengers”, thousands of comic book and science fiction fans went head-to-head for the best costume at the first Comic Con Africa on Friday.
Comic Con’s arrival in Africa coincides with a big push by streaming services such as Netflix and Naspers’ Showmax to expand to capitalize on the continent’s love of comics and Hollywood movies.
Tickets for Saturday and Sunday – the most popular days of the three-day event in South Africa – sold out weeks before the launch, Carol Weaving, managing director of organizer Reed Exhibitions, told Reuters.
She said the event had attracted comic, superhero and anime fans from Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Nigeria and that it would expand beyond South Africa into other African countries.
As well as international comic book heroes, Comic Con Africa will also showcase local characters like Kwezi and Captain South Africa. International guests included Kevin Sussman from “The Big Bang Theory” and Travis Fimmel from “Vikings”.
Zimbabwean-born comic artist Bill Masuku said the event was a chance for people to learn more about locally produced comics and occupy spaces typically dominated by Hollywood.
- Egypt Advances Its Plan to Become A Regional Center for Energy with Sudan Electric Linkage Project
- 👌🏾Kenyan Shatters Marathon World Record By 78 Seconds
- 👍🏾Tanzania App Emerges as Ecobank Fintech Challenge First Place Winner
- 😲 If You Are A Tanzania Female MP Who Does One Of These Things, You Will Be Banned Says Speaker of Parliament
- Thousands flock to Africa’s first Comic Con
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95