Britam Tower, a 31-storey office complex in Upper Hill, Nairobi, was officially opened to the public on Friday, overtaking the nearby UAP Old Mutual Tower as Kenya’s tallest skyscraper.
The Sh7 billion tower, which sits on 1.5 acres on Hospital Road, comprises two separate buildings: a 32-storey office tower and a 15-storey parking silo with an interlinking bridge at the top floor which offers alternative means of evacuation during emergencies.
The building has a total lettable space of 350,000 square feet with 1,000 parking bays and is ready for occupation by diplomatic missions, multinationals, and financial institutions.
Britam Tower, whose construction started in early 2013 and ended in September 2017, boasts a prismic shape and at its widest it looks like a black pyramid with the top corner missing and from other views it is a more slender black prism.
The unusual design is achieved by having a footprint with four corners and then a roof with only two. The corners are crossed diagonally on the building to the upper levels as it tapers.
At 195 metres, Britam Tower is now the tallest building in East and Central Africa – and the third tallest in Sub-Saharan Africa.
“We have eight high-speed lifts to travel from the ground floor to the top floor in less than 30 seconds. These are the fastest in any building in Africa,” Britam Group managing director Benson Wairegi told journalists who toured the building on Friday.
Mr Wairegi added that the building will target diplomatic missions, multinationals, and financial institutions among other high-profile tenants.
“We are really looking for institutional tenants as opposed to individual tenants,” he said.
- RECIPE OF THE DAY: Moroccan Lamb Tangine With Asian Pears
- Ethiopia Prime Minister’s New Defense Minister Is A Woman and So Is 50% Of His Ministerial Cabinet
- 10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire Your Next Look
- 👍🏾Tunisia Becomes Second African Country And First Arab Nation To Outlaw Racism. Here Is What Will Happen If You Break The Law
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Are Given Ugandan Names
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95