Website The British High Commission
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the Trade Promotion and Negotiation organisation for the UK. We promote UK businesses overseas and attract foreign investment to our shores. We have 3,000 staff across the globe in over 100 countries. Our aspiration is to address some of the challenges facing the UK, by helping British businesses to internationalise and grow overseas.
In January 2020 the UK Prime Minister hosted the UK – Africa Investment Summit, a major event that showcased investment opportunities in Mozambique and the continent. The British High Commission Maputo has a job opening for a Trade and Investment Officer who will be responsible for coordinating the follow-up of the UK – Africa Investment Summit and related trade and investment events and visits, including a follow up event ‘Mozambique in the UK Week’. The candidate will be expected to manage relationships with key stakeholders, manage logistics, ensure the highest standards of satisfaction and will have specific responsibility for priority sectors for DIT Mozambique, namely green economy sub-sectors of sustainable agriculture, infrastructure and renewables, developing and delivering on new opportunities.
The position will be based in Maputo and will report to the Country Director and the Senior Trade Advisor. You will also be a part of the wider British High Commission’s Resilient and Productive Economies Pillar comprising DIT and the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) colleagues all working to improve economic development, investment and trade between the UK and Mozambique.
Understanding of project management, marketing techniques and the importance of upholding the brand and reputation of UK with its many interlocutors will be key.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
Your key sectors of focus are Green Economy sub-sectors. These sectors are subject to annual review.
Working in support of Mozambique and the UK’s prosperity agenda and reporting to the Country Director and the Senior Trade Advisor, your objectives will be:
- To build, leverage and maintain important client facing relationships with important investors. Use the above relationships to help HMG in Mozambique to lobby for key reforms to the Mozambican business environment by identifying ‘high value investment barriers’.
- Promote Mozambican investment opportunities to firms and UK investors, raising the profile of investable opportunities among private investors.
- Map key UK and international investors’ presence in Mozambique and manage key investor relationships, facilitate their dialogue with the relevant government departments, agencies and regulators.
- Work closely with colleagues in programmes team and FCDO, maintaining regular dialogue and collaborating when the opportunities arise.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate client information via DIT online database. Attend appropriate functions/events/meetings aimed to build a network of contacts across government and the private sector and identify business opportunities at the earliest stage. Written briefing and draft responses in sectors of responsibility will also be required
- Lead on delivering ‘Mozambique in UK Week’. Provide additional support to the other events, including high profile visits, leading up to and following from the UK-Africa Investment Summit.
- Promote, where relevant, the financing products offered by UK Export Finance, the British government’s Export Credit Agency, to support companies win contracts
- Contribute flexibly and fully to the work of the British High Commission, DIT Africa Team, and exporting successful campaign approaches to other relevant markets across Africa
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- You will need to be a self-starter who can hit the ground running and quickly adapt to the role
- Ability to bring together the relevant stakeholders and lead from the front
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, international management or in a related field
- 1 year minimum work experience
- A high level of written English and Portuguese and fluent in both
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Excellent project management skills according to international standards
- Experience of organising and leading projects and taking decisions independently
- Problem solving ability and drive to deliver results to tight deadlines and within set budgets
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Client facing experience, for example with a professional services business
- Knowledge of the government institutions and structure of the business world in Mozambique
- 3 years’ experience
- Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
31 August 2021
To apply for this job please visit fco.tal.net.
Subscribe for Updates
News3 months ago
DISCUSSION: South Africans Are Debating A Woman’s Right To Have More Than One Husband😳. What Do You Think?
Community News4 weeks ago
Johns Hopkins Honors Nigerian Teen Fareedah Oyolola As World Brightest Student
Arts & Culture3 months ago
15 Unforgettable Ankara Styles By 15 African Actresses
Fashion3 months ago
20 African Bridesmaid Dress Ideas That You Won’t Find Anywhere
Arts & Culture3 months ago
25 African Shirt For Men From African Prints
Celebrities2 months ago
Which Of These Top 10 Elite And Upcoming Kenya Musicians Is Your Favorite?
Art3 months ago
13 Afrocentric Home Decor Ideas For 2021
Food2 months ago
13 Afrocentric Wedding Cake Ideas