Website The British High Commission
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of job:
You will be an important member of the policy team at Post, working as part of a wider team, but with autonomy to lead and direct a number of areas of political and human rights policy and project delivery yourself. You will need to be a strong team player, but also confident and capable of taking initiative and working independently. You will have strong networking skills, and be comfortable working with senior stakeholders from the UK and within Botswana. You will need to be agile and flexible in your approach, able to pivot between delivering in depth analytical reports, to more practical project and event management activity.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Analysis, Reporting and Stakeholder Management – 60%
- Establish relationships with a range of key actors in the UK and Botswana including government ministries, parliament, academia, civil society, NGOs and the media
- Develop an in depth understanding of the UK’s international human rights priorities and approach and how our work in Botswana can support these both domestically and regionally
- Provide high quality political reporting and analysis on the internal political and human rights situation in Botswana drawing on a wide range of information
- Identify opportunities for the UK and Botswana to work together to improve human rights and equality – keeping abreast of the activities of other donors to ensure complementarity and avoid duplication
- Undertake regular horizon scanning to identify potential risks to HMG policy and project activity and opportunities for innovative ways for HMG to add additional value
- Represent the BHC at a wide range of external meetings and events, presenting the UK position and producing timely meeting reports afterwards.
Project and Visits Management & Strategic Communications and Events – 30%
- Design and oversee implementation of project activity in the human rights, governance and justice spheres, with support from colleagues and delivery partners
- Work with Communications colleagues to produce targeted communications products and deliver events that promote UK values and contribute to the delivery of policy objectives
- Lead on the organisation of inward and outwards visits between Botswana and the UK for Ministers, senior officials and Parliamentarians.
Information Management – 10%
- Champion information and records management best practice across the BHC, keeping up to date with new developments and providing training on BHC information management practice to new staff;
- Provide advice and support to colleagues on how to use Microsoft Teams for information management, including working directly with teams to develop user friendly folder and file structures and consistent naming conventions;
- Ensure BHC compliance with UK policies and legislation related to information management and maintain the Information Asset Register.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong planning and organising abilities
- A solid understanding of Botswana’s political, social and cultural landscape
- Experience of compiling analytical reports, drawing on a range of evidence
- Excellent networking skills
- Background knowledge of the infleuncial human rights actors in Botswana and how they operate
- Fluent in English
- Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
- 5 September 2021
To apply for this job please visit fco.tal.net.
Subscribe for Updates
Community News1 month ago
Johns Hopkins Honors Nigerian Teen Fareedah Oyolola As World Brightest Student
News3 months ago
DISCUSSION: South Africans Are Debating A Woman’s Right To Have More Than One Husband😳. What Do You Think?
Fashion3 months ago
20 African Bridesmaid Dress Ideas That You Won’t Find Anywhere
Arts & Culture3 months ago
25 African Shirt For Men From African Prints
Celebrities2 months ago
Which Of These Top 10 Elite And Upcoming Kenya Musicians Is Your Favorite?
Art3 months ago
13 Afrocentric Home Decor Ideas For 2021
African Ingenuity3 months ago
See The Most Peaceful African Countries In 2021 According To Global Peace Index
Food2 months ago
13 Afrocentric Wedding Cake Ideas