The Policy Team Manager is responsible for coaching and developing a team of investigation specialists. The manager advocates for the interests of the team within Goodreads and Amazon at their local site, and supports the Team Advisor with identifying and analyzing root causes of customer concerns related to abuse. An effective Policy Team Manager has a deep understanding of how policy team goals interact with product decisions and impact the community, demonstrates strong leadership and problem-solving skills, and can effectively implement change or continuous improvement initiatives within a team.
- Manage a team of investigation specialists, including coaching and developing team members on performance, policy issues and career development. Conducts regular 1:1s with employees.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Amazon’s policies and procedures.
- Responsibilities include planning, assigning and directing work; interviewing and hiring new employees; rewarding and disciplining employees; and effective conflict resolution.
- Promotes a positive team environment. Demonstrates effective communication and cooperation amongst management and peers to manage team workload and morale.
- Demonstrates adaptability and leads team through ambiguity or changes in circumstances, direction, or strategy.
- Understands data and key performance indicators. Uses data to advocate for the customer experience.
- Conducts regular audits of the team’s work. Recommends areas of improvement in agent work or organizational processes.
- Reports out results, wins, and misses to key stakeholders. May have regular reporting requirements for weekly or monthly business reviews.
- Ensures that internal knowledge is documented and are updated
- Represents the interests of the Policy team on site, including driving initiatives designed to promote effective collaboration, employee engagement, and promote awareness of team’s goals and needs within Goodreads and the local site team.
- Serves as a role model by displaying good judgment, positive work ethic, strong interpersonal skills, adherence to policies, and demonstrates a commitment to an excellent customer experience.
Skills and competencies
- Superior writing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to weigh competing customer, business, and employee needs.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to step back and look at the bigger picture.
- Ability to keep calm, think strategically, and exercise excellent critical judgment during high-pressure situations.
- Demonstrate superior decision-making skills and strive for continuous self-improvement.
- 1 year previous experience supervising a team in a customer service, risk management, or escalations team
- Familiarity with general principles of workforce or staffing management in a contact center environment.
- Ability to be flexible in shift assignments and work areas, including nights and weekends
- English Proficiency – Strong interpersonal, verbal (speaking, listening, interpretation) and written communication skills desired
- High School Diploma
- B.A./B.S. or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience on Goodreads Policy team or in a similar escalations handling or risk-related role.
- Familiarity with SQL
- Success working across global locations and with cross-functional teams
- Training or project management experience (communication, planning, and documentation)
- Extensive experience handling sensitive moderation scenarios
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.