LOS ANGELES, May 3, 2010 / FW/ — Bringing a new and fresh aesthetics to contemporary #African style, “I Wear Africa” fashion show brought a positive spotlight on Africa and Africans.
Produced by African Vibes magazine, the runway show was held on Saturday, April 24, 2010 at the Avalon in Hollywood with international superstar and singer #Awilo Longomba — known as the “King of Techno-Soukous Music” as celebrity catwalker, shaking his hips and gyrating across the runway as the evening’s special musical guest.
The magazine honored Awilo and celebrity fashion designer and “Project Runway” alum #Korto Momolu with a Diamond Award for uplifting their African heritage through music and fashion.
The designers who participated in the “#I Wear African” fashion show included #Sheila Denanyoh (Ghana) of Ill-la-la Designs; #Arthlene Legair (Dominica, West Indies) of the #Legair Brand; #Kahindo Mateene (Democratic Republic of Congo-DRC) of #Modahnik; Maryanne E. Mokoko and Stephanie T. Mouapi (Cameroon) of Côté Minou; #Mekdes Tefera Taye (Ethiopia); jewelry designer #Monalisa Okojie (Nigeria) of #NEHITA and #Christiane King (Ivory Coast), who is a contestant on this season’s “Project Runway.” [READ MORE]
- RECIPE OF THE DAY: Moroccan Lamb Tangine With Asian Pears
- Ethiopia Prime Minister’s New Defense Minister Is A Woman and So Is 50% Of His Ministerial Cabinet
- 10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire Your Next Look
- 👍🏾Tunisia Becomes Second African Country And First Arab Nation To Outlaw Racism. Here Is What Will Happen If You Break The Law
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Are Given Ugandan Names
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95