The National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA’s) Head of IT Fernando Wangila is the CIO of the year Award winner in the East Africa’s 2017 CIO100 Awards.
Themed as Digital Transformation, the annual CIO100 Awards ceremony was preceded by a two-day’s symposium attended by more than 400 senior IT and business executives who congregated to learn, share knowledge and recognize their peers who have performed well.
According to Prof. Joseph Sevilla, Director at iLab, a research Center within Strathmore University. NTSA scooped the top accolade following its brilliance in implementing Transport Information Management System (TIMS). This is a self-help portal where any Kenyan can access any service offered by NTSA anywhere so long as they have internet connection.
TIMS has been serving to: Eliminate fraud and corruption in the transport sector, provide a single source of information on road transport data, improve on compliance with traffic rules and enforcement and Improve access and security to information relevant to the transport sector
In an interview earlier this year with TechWeez, Dr Wangila explained that TIMS will hold all transport issues and data such as motor vehicle inspections and drivers’ licenses. The automation processes still underway is being conducted in phases, where the first part involved an online license renewal implementation. The second phase aims to gather information on all drivers and vehicles. The third phase is the launch of smart drivers’ licenses that will be equipped with chips that integrate a points system.
3rd Parties such as Insurance firms will be able to leverage the offerings of TIMS’s data.
CIO Special Awards
- CIO of the Year Award: Fernando Wangila, CIO, NTSA
- Leadership Award: Huduma Kenya
- CIO Green Edge Award: Sarova Hotels – The Sarova Project
- Infrastructure Award: MultiChoice Kenya – Fundi Task
- Overall Winner: NTSA
- Industry Service Award: Access Kenya
- Financial Service Sector: Barclays Bank of Kenya
- Manufacturing Sector: Longhorn Publishers
- Media Sector Award: MultiChoice Award
- Health Sector Award: Gertrudes Hospital
- Public Sector: NSSF Uganda
- Local Government: Kitui County