Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) Designer #Kahindo Mateene is the Founder of clothing brand, #Modahnik where she fuses her #African heritage using colorful African print fabrics with her Western influenced design sensibilities. Her goal is to create beautiful clothes of the highest quality and act as a poverty reduction tool by creating sustainable employment opportunities to underprivileged women in African communities.
Mateene has a degree in International Business and a Bachelors of Fine Arts from the highly acclaimed Fashion Design Program at the Illinois Institute of Art. Since graduating in 2004, she has relentlessly pursued her goal of creating an exciting clothing line within a sustainable business model in both the US and Africa. Mateene’s first collection was launched during the 2009 Fashion Focus Chicago week.
What we can expect at the “I Wear African” Runway Show
“Modahnik will be showcasing the 2010 Fall Collection on the ‘#I Wear African’ Runway. This collection is influenced by the Modahnik customer and that alternative she seeks out when reaching for the Little Black Dress in her closet. The use of silk alongside African influenced wax print fabrics, ruching and asymmetrical ruffles in flattering sexy ladylike shapes are just some of the feminine frills you will find in the collection.” – Kahindo Mateene
Pieces from Previous Collections
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157623624103559″]
- RECIPE OF THE DAY: Moroccan Lamb Tangine With Asian Pears
- Ethiopia Prime Minister’s New Defense Minister Is A Woman and So Is 50% Of His Ministerial Cabinet
- 10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire Your Next Look
- 👍🏾Tunisia Becomes Second African Country And First Arab Nation To Outlaw Racism. Here Is What Will Happen If You Break The Law
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Are Given Ugandan Names
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95