Normally, an adoptive parent has to live in Malawi for 18 months before being awarded a child for #adoption there, assuming all else is in place.
The Nyasa Times reports from Blantyre that the Supreme Court of Appeal in Malawi handed down a ruling Friday which overturned a lower court decision preventing Madonna from adopting three-year-old #Chifundo (“#Mercy“) #James from an orphanage in southern Malawi.
In April #Judge Esmie Chombo said the pop star could not be granted custody because she was single and she had not lived in the country for the minimum period prescribed by inter-country adoption laws.
The little girl’s father, who placed his daughter in an orphanage because he cannot afford to care for her is devastated that Madonna is able to adopt his daughter and take her out of the country according to the Daily Mirror, a British newspaper.
Mercy’s dad, #James Kambewa is quoted as saying, “I am devastated. I did not even know that the judges were making a ruling about Madonna adopting my child on that day…I feel betrayed by my countrymen who gave me a deaf ear because I am poor and Madonna is rich.”
- 👍🏾Tanzania App Emerges as Ecobank Fintech Challenge First Place Winner
- 😲 If You Are A Tanzania Female MP Who Does One Of These Things, You Will Be Banned Says Speaker of Parliament
- Thousands flock to Africa’s first Comic Con
- 3 of the Top Eight Fastest-Growing Airbnb Countries In The World Are in Africa
- African Presidents Confront China on Trade Imbalance And China Says This
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95