#Margaret Gardiner from South Africa won the first Miss Universe title for Africa in 1978, #Michelle Mclean won the second Miss Universe title for Africa representing Namibia 2 years after its independence from South Africa in 1992. In 1999, #Mpule Kwelagobe representing Botswana won the third title. She was also the first black African to take home the title.
The 25 year old Angolan beauty has worked with various social causes. She has helped poor kids, worked in the fight against HIV and has also worked to protect the elderly “I think now as Miss Universe I will be able to do much more” says the beauty queen.
Contestants hailing from 89 nations spent the past three weeks in Sao Paulo for the 60th anniversary of the beauty contest that had an anticipated worldwide audience of one billion. Mexico’s Ximena Navarrete, last year’s winner, was on hand to relinquish her crown to Lopes.
- 10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire Your Next Look
- 👍🏾Tunisia Becomes Second African Country And First Arab Nation To Outlaw Racism. Here Is What Will Happen If You Break The Law
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Are Given Ugandan Names
- Kigali Genocide Memorial Unveils New Digital Education Platform For Genocide Education
- ❓🤔QUESTION FOR YOU: Should Kenyan Immigration Have Deported This Chinese Man Over His Racist Rant?
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95