A few days ago, 21 year old South African, Saidy Brown shared the following message on her twitter feed
“When I found out at 14 that I was HIV-positive, I didn’t think I would live to see 18, I am turning 22 this year.”
Since tweeting those words, over 8000 thousand people have re-shared her hopeful message, with many praising her courage for speaking publicly about her own experience with the virus.
In an interview with BBC, the 21 year old shared
“When I was younger, I was so scared of how people would perceive me.
“But now I’ve grown and people’s opinions really don’t phase me. I think emotionally I’ve become stronger.
“I started disclosing it when I was 18.
“I’m in a relationship currently. It’s very amazing because usually I disclose right at the beginning of the relationship.”
“So once the person decides that they want to stay with me then it’s all good, but if they decide to leave, it’s still fine.
Take our Poll
- 👍🏾Tanzania App Emerges as Ecobank Fintech Challenge First Place Winner
- 😲 If You Are A Tanzania Female MP Who Does One Of These Things, You Will Be Banned Says Speaker of Parliament
- Thousands flock to Africa’s first Comic Con
- 3 of the Top Eight Fastest-Growing Airbnb Countries In The World Are in Africa
- African Presidents Confront China on Trade Imbalance And China Says This
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95