About the African Fish Roll
Over the years I have tried several times to make #African fish pie or Fish roll, as is commonly called in Cameroon, but was extremely disappointed at the results. Then, one of my aunts said casually, “Well, it is just puff- puff mixture with butter , and sardines” and it hit me “Duh! That’s it! I decided to try my hand again at this recipe and after several disastrous results I came up with one am proud to share.
An African fish pie is a popular West African streetfood – specifically in Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana that is made with some sort of shortcut pastry fill with sardines and spices. In Cameroon, it is rolled up, while in other countries it is made in the shape of meat pie (empanadas).
These tasty snacks are deep fried not baked; however for a healthy version you can bake them. The baked version would taste slightly different from the deep fried version. To be honest… there is no comparison , fried fish pie is crunchy, slightly sweet , spicy and oh so good.
It is a really all the rage for adults and kids, who would hurriedly leave school, in an attempt to get a piece from the ladies selling it, at the entrance of the school. It is more convenient to buy from the street vendors than make it at home in Africa.
Maybe because it is looked down as “poor man’s” snack. Meat pies are the “rich man‘s version. Africans leaving abroad would classify it as a” MUST EAT” at parties- It flies off the table.
- 1 can sardines in chili tomato sauce 15oz or 425gram
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- RECIPE OF THE DAY: Moroccan Lamb Tangine With Asian Pears
- Ethiopia Prime Minister’s New Defense Minister Is A Woman and So Is 50% Of His Ministerial Cabinet
- 10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire Your Next Look
- 👍🏾Tunisia Becomes Second African Country And First Arab Nation To Outlaw Racism. Here Is What Will Happen If You Break The Law
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Are Given Ugandan Names
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95