It was an interesting year for African billionaires as some fortunes shrunk and others grew. Notably Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote’s wealth dropped by a couple of billions, giving South African/Canadian/American billionaire and founder of Tesla Motors, Elon Musk the edge he needed to top the list.
African Countries represented on the Billionaire list
In 2017, South Africa still topped the list with 9 billionaires after dropping Christoffel Wiese and adding Stephen Saad and Desmond Sacco. Egypt’s list grew to 8 billionaires with Sawiris family patriarch back on the list.
Nigeria’s billionaires dropped from 5 to 3, dropping Abdulsamad Rabiu and Femi Otedola. The other countries represented are Angola, Algeria, Ethiopia, Sudan and Swaziland.
African Billionaire Age groups
There are 3 billionaires in their forties, 5 in their fifties, 8 in their sixties, 7 in their seventies and 5 in their eighties. Africa’s youngest Billionaire is still Mohammed Dewji from Tanzania at Age 41.
The African Billionaires list is a snapshot of wealth taken on January 1, 2018. It is based on the Forbes Real time billionaire wealth calculator. The calculation is derived from stock prices and exchange rates from around the world used to calculate net worths. Some fortunes change from day to day due to fluctuations in the market.
The list is based on individuals rather than multigenerational families who share large fortunes, though included is wealth belonging to a billionaire’s spouse and children if the current list member is the founder of the fortune. In that case you’ll see “& family” on the list. Also included are married couples who built fortunes and businesses together.
Africa’s Billionaires of 2017
- 👍🏾Tanzania App Emerges as Ecobank Fintech Challenge First Place Winner
- 😲 If You Are A Tanzania Female MP Who Does One Of These Things, You Will Be Banned Says Speaker of Parliament
- Thousands flock to Africa’s first Comic Con
- 3 of the Top Eight Fastest-Growing Airbnb Countries In The World Are in Africa
- African Presidents Confront China on Trade Imbalance And China Says This
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95