Catherine Mukenyang is no ordinary woman. She comes from a Kenyan community where women and girls still struggle to acquire education owing to cultural beliefs that have restrained them from going to school. Inspite of that, the mother of four was able to pursue and land a position as West Pokot County Speaker of The Assembly and is ready to offer transformative leadership.
Her job demands that she maintain order in the assembly, and she is not afraid to order members to observe decorum and stick to the assembly rules, their gender notwithstanding.
In an interview with the Daily Nation, she said of her historic victory
“This shows that girls are now being appreciated in Pokot. I have entered the history books of this county as the first woman Speaker. Members of the county assembly have conquered all negative cultural practices today that discriminate against women in our society,”
- Egypt Advances Its Plan to Become A Regional Center for Energy with Sudan Electric Linkage Project
- 👌🏾Kenyan Shatters Marathon World Record By 78 Seconds
- 👍🏾Tanzania App Emerges as Ecobank Fintech Challenge First Place Winner
- 😲 If You Are A Tanzania Female MP Who Does One Of These Things, You Will Be Banned Says Speaker of Parliament
- Thousands flock to Africa’s first Comic Con
- Africa 24K Gold-Plated Afronista Statement Earrings $29.95
- African Print triangle bikini $19.95 – $29.95
- Alephonsion Deng Cover $4.95