With the natural hair revolution (if we can call it that), we see more and more people embracing their natural hair textures and lengths. This often comes with beautiful baubles to beautify and elevate your look. However, we have got to admit that sometimes, styling natural hair can be a serious struggle. How do you style your natural hair such that it does not break or damage? The problem gets worse if you are looking for simple natural hairstyles that will bring out your beauty. The list of such hairstyles was slim in the past but that is changing. Let us take you through three easy hairstyles that will make you the center of attraction.
1. The High Puff
This easy to do natural hairstyle will have you looking professional in no time. The puff works for every occasion including weddings. However, we would advise hair accessories to make it more elaborate. The puff can be a simple one that points upward like a bun or side puff. Don’t forget to sprinkle an essential oil for a glossy finish.
The good thing about puffs is that they allow you to experiment and get creative. We’ll outline the classic style below as well as all the tools you need.
Hair length: Short, medium hair
Time: 20 minutes or less
What you need:
- Spray bottle filled with water
- Leave-in conditioner
- Denman brush
- Wide-tooth comb
- Hair Gel
- Satin scarf
- Edge brush
- Edge control
- Hair pick
- Spray water on your hair, not to wet but dampen your hair
- Apply a leave-in conditioner and comb through your hair with a wide-tooth comb
- Apply gel to your hairline, sides, and back. You might need more than a dime-sized amount depending on your hair texture and volume
- Smooth over Denman brush. This will make your puff sleek
- Wrap your hairband from the base of your neck to your forehead. Cross the ends of the tie and pull tight to gather up all your hair. The tighter the band, the smaller your puff
- Adjust the tightness and size of your puff till you are comfortable. Tie off your hairband and tuck the excess
- Use edge brush and edge control and lay your edges.
- Then wrap your satin edge scarf around your edges and the base of your puff. Pull tight enough to set your hair, but not so hard to give yourself a headache
- Use your afro pick to puff out your hair
- When your hair is set, unwrap your scarf and your hair is all done
2. Wash and Go
This is a beautiful style that also doesn’t take hours to do. This natural hairstyle will have your curls looking like the best version of themselves. This curl enhancing natural hairstyle requires minimal effort to maintain. Depending on how well you pull it off, it can last up to a week or more. This hairstyle is a protective style for your natural hair. Therefore, if you are already battling with dry or damaged hair, try this one.
Hair length: Medium to long hair
Time: 30 minutes to an hour (factor in drying time)
What you need:
- Leave-in conditioner
- Curl enhancing cream
- Hair gel
- Blow dryer with a diffuser nozzle
- Detangling brush
- Hair pick
- You want to start this style with freshly washed hair. Cleanse your hair with shampoo and then condition.
- Detangle with the detangling brush then rinse the conditioner out thoroughly with lukewarm water
- Apply the leave-in generously to your hair, then apply a gel
- Shake your head vigorously. This will help your curls settle in
- Blow-dry your hair with the diffuser nozzle for bouncy curls
- You can dry the upside of your hair for more volume
- Pick your hair for a uniform coil finish
3. Finger coils
Anyone with nibble fingers can pull this off. Alternatively, you can ask someone to help you out. This super simple hairstyle is about defining your coils and it can last up to 7 days. While this hairstyle is simple, it is time-consuming. If you have type 4 hair, you will need to be patient to achieve this hairstyle. However, it is worth the wait and will leave your hair looking fabulous. It is particularly perfect for those who love a full hairstyle. This is a protective style for your natural hair. You only need to redo this once a week. If maintained properly, you might be able to leave it on for up to two weeks.
Hair length: Short, medium, long
Time: 50 minutes to 2 hours (factor in drying time)
What you need:
- You want to start this style with freshly washed hair. Cleanse your hair with shampoo and then condition
- Detangle with a detangling brush then rinse out the conditioner thoroughly. Blot your hair so it’s not dripping wet, just damp.
- Section your hair into four. Clip the sections if needed
- Apply curl enhancing cream to your first section
- Divide the section into smaller parts. The smaller your parts, the smaller the coils will be
- Grip the small sections as close to the root as possible and wrap your fingers around it. Twist to create a spiral
- Repeat for remaining sections
- Allow hair to air dry or use a hooded dryer for quicker drying
When you twist your hair, it is important to keep it hydrated. Also, you can wrap your natural hair in a satin scarf when you go to bed to protect your curls. With natural hair, you want to make sure that your hair is in a protective style to minimize breakage. However, make dietary changes that will provide your hair with minerals and vitamins to stay healthy. You will enjoy these natural hairstyles more if you perform them on healthy, full hair. Which style would you try first? Tell us in the comments box below.
Subscribe for Updates
- Fashion1 month ago
23 Times Berla Mundi’s Afronista Style Got Our Thumbs Up
- Business and Development2 months ago
8 Ways To Make Money Online With Just A Laptop and Internet
- Designer Spotlight1 month ago
16 Unforgettable Looks By Angolan Designer Soraya Da Piedade
- Money Matters2 months ago
5 Ideas for Online Investing in Africa
- Viewpoint1 month ago
DISCUSSION: Was Late President Gadaffi’s ‘United States of Africa’ a pipedream or simply a matter of time?
- African Ingenuity3 months ago
Do You Agree With Akon That African Americans Need To Return To Africa?
- Lifestyle3 months ago
Last Minute Gifts You Can Get Before Christmas
- Health & Fitness3 months ago
DISCUSSION: Will You Take The COVID-19 Vaccine When It Becomes Available?